Happy 10th birthday, son! The first decade of your life was an adventure of cross-country travel, welcoming new siblings, & tremendous personal growth. Standing now on the threshold of the most formative & challenging decade of your life, be resolute in pursuit of manliness & Godliness. Here is some advice, from my heart to yours.
- Reject Passivity-Real men initiate decisive action. Don’t be a milquetoast, limp-wristed, effeminate, momma’s boy who is a lazy sluggard addicted to movies & video games. Step up like a man.
- Accept Responsibility-As an emerging man, you will be in the driver seat & need no permission to lead. Lead well by providing & protecting those in your care. Remember! Boys make excuses but men take responsibility.
- Act Courageously-Anyone can complain but it takes courage to overcome fear & make a difference. See a need? Be part of the solution & do something.
- Live for a Greater Cause-What are you living for that is worth dying for? The smallest package ever seen is a guy wrapped up in himself. Your created purpose is to glorify GOD through faithful investment of your time, treasure, & talent in eternity.
- Fervent in Prayer-Never underestimate the power of prayer for it moves the Hand that moves the world. Trust in GOD’s power to do far beyond all you ask in prayer for those in need.
- Devoted to the Bible-God’s Word is how we know Him & is the authority for true teaching & Godly living. Cultivate ownership of the faith & defend it in an ungodly culture that is hostile to the absolute truth of Biblical Christianity.
- Engage Family-Obeying & honoring your parents (& blessing your siblings) is training for what kind of man, husband, & father you will be. Love your future wife now by praying for her & her family. Once you are married, trust God to bless you with children. Intentionally raise them to serve Christ.
- Faithful in Church-Godly men worship & serve as faithful churchmen. God made His Church the support & foundation of truth & central in life. Prioritize church over community, political, athletic, academic, hobby, & Christian organizations.
- Passion for Sinners-GOD still rescues lost souls from burning hell & saves them unto heaven’s splendor by His free grace through faith alone in Christ’s blood. Godly men have a heart for evangelism & cross-cultural missions.
- Invest in People-Relationships are precious. Be thankful for those who have impacted your life. Especially pour into those who have a heart for GOD.
My son, may GOD forge you into not only a manly dude but also a Godly man. Depend on His power for self-effort is futile. Every day, I thank GOD for the blessing that you are. I love you with all my heart!
“Watch, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love.” I Corinthians 16:13-14
*Published in the Adams-Friendship Times-Reporter: June 2016